Tuesday, June 05, 2007

randomness...a specialty of mine

So I was talking to my running mentor and friend, who happens to be what I would call a power blogger (a person who equates "put new post on the blog" with "wake-up" on their daily to-do list) about our different blogging styles. Basically she write really interesting, funny things and doesn't necessary rely heavily on photos, especially photos of the kidos to try to sponge some attention--which would essentially describe my style. But most recently my friend has ventured more into utilizing cute baby pics to draw in the online crowds so I thought I’d give it a go at a picture-less kid-less post. Prepare yourself to be rocked by randomness, click away while you still can.

First of all, Tom and I have been in love lately and that feels good, so we decided to celebrate our love by……..
buying some CD’s (something we haven’t done for sooo long). Saturday night we took advantage of some free babysitting and hit the town. Although we had planned to go out to eat together, we skipped dinner to justify our purchases.

purchase #1 Pacha Massive – Hot Spanglish disco techno rap (usually at this point I would put pics of the girls break dancing, but I won’t)
Here’s one of their songs, my favorite is “oye mira” but I couldn’t find it



purchase#2 History Boys Soundtrack-- What a movie! The screenplay is perfect, taken from an even better play I hear. The Soundtrack includes the Cure, the Smiths, the Pretenders, the Clash etc. Normally I would talk about how the girls believe the chorus from the Clash song sings "rockin' the Deathstar," and I'd put a video of them grooving in the backseat and singing the chorus as loud as they can, but I'll stop myself.

purchase#3 Tracy Thorn, out of the woods

Music I still would like to get someday, Nick Drake and Texas--but Tom won't let me b/c then he would have to admit that I can pick out good music all by myself.

Second only to dancing around in Barnes & Noble and embarrassing Tom, I love to spend my weekends reading the New York Times. I try to force myself to read the entire Week in Review section before I rush into the Sunday Styles but I can hardly stop myself from heading straight to the most entertaining section of all--at the very end of the Sunday Style lies the Wedding Announcements or what David Brooks calls the "mergers and acquistions." Here are my top four from the last two Sundays. These select few are chosen based on 3 criteria;

1-- unbelievable perfection (i.e. She's a 25 year old M.D. graduating from Yale with a masters in astrophysics from Harvard and he is a 27 year old J.D. from Columbia with a Ph.d in bio-engineering from Stanford and MFA in french horn performance from Juilliard)
2-- Shameless exploitation of career based lineage (i.e. the bride is the great-great-god-niece of Herbert Boufee, a noble prize nominee in 1874)
3-- unadulterated corniness (this stuff is my favorite, you got to read it to believe it)

So read on and cast your vote for your favorite. Please remember to sit up straight, cross your legs, and turn side to side while you clap soflty and repeat "good match, good match indeed" in your best british accent when you finish reading each announcement.

Fola Popoola and Alvin May II catagory 1

Julia Taft & Christof Putzel catagory 2

Catherine Bennett & Sophien Bennaceur catagory 3

Jennifer Openshaw and Randy Schwimmer catagory 3--I love the pic with this one, ya kinda gotta feel bad for the chauffeur in a monkey suit

6 comments:

Grant Skousen said...

A multimedia extravaganza...

I don't think dancing in the BN could be any worse than going to Sunday School with you.

Grant Skousen said...

Also I couldn't make up my mind on the mergers - although having your own video coverage in the times can't be cheap.

Grant Skousen said...

BTW I like all your blog entry styles. Do I get extra points for raising your comment count?

Nicole said...

Wow the first couple is hard to compete with, they put out more titles than Joe Lewis, but I have to say my vote goes to the last one, the picture did it for me. That poor monkey man... somebody have a heart and crop him out of the picture.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this new style of blogging you tried. Although I would have loved to see the girls break dancing or jamming out in the car (or both... at the same time) but I did like the videos you put on there.

I am glad you are going to teach my dad how to use this insanely confusing website, however difficult it may be - it's something he should learn!

I can't wait to try the snickers, the chocolate here is a huge temptation for me already! It's so good!

Anyways, Thanks for the comments as always, I will continue to post if you continue to read. Love ya!

Amy said...

Ok, first...thanks for the mention.
Second...I like the pictures of the girls!!! But I like this, too!
Third...I am wretching over here from those wedding announcements. The first couple has NO connections to NY, why are they in the NY Times??? Stick to the Boston Globe.
The second one is like a resume for their parents.
And the third and forth are all about falling in love with women wearing sweatpants. All I can say is this--glad you liked her in sweatpants because after she gets knocked up, that is the only thing you'll ever see her wearing for the rest of your days on earth.
I can't stand any of these people.

leslie said...

good for you getting out and spending some cash on some tunes! who needs to eat when you've got good music, right! and seriously... those wedding announcements are something... i'm still reeling over the video #4 posted. wow. good stuff... hehe! i can see why you keep going back for more!